Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Change in me

I am surprised how little I actual new about Native American society. Having already taken various women’s studies classes, I expected this class to elaborate on the same issues. However, to my surprise, this class taught me so much more. Learning the history of how the children were forced into a school system that disrupted their native culture and taught them to be more western civilized shocked the hell out of me. I never realized how strongly we have imposed our culture onto an already civilized nation. In addition, the continuing battles of lands that we American’s have taken from the Native people who are striving to get it back. It is embarrassing to see what our country has done to these people who are just like us. I mean, realistically, they were here first and we have no right to take all their land and treat them like dirt. In a society where parents are teaching children how to behave and share with one another, our country can’t even follow those guidelines with the natives that were here first. It is unfortunate that schools aren’t teaching more about our history in relation to the Native American’s and how Christopher Columbus day truly shouldn’t be celebrated and is honoring a man that murdered thousands of natives.

No comments: