Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My inspiration

For my final project I have chose to switch from my original topic to Maquiladoras. The film “Maquilapolis: City of Factories”, encouraged me to rediscover this issue and explain more about it. As Americans, we do not consider where our clothes are being made; we just purchase them at various malls and retailers. Especially here at WSU, being in a college town secludes you from the rest of the world, the outside world. I rarely watch the news and really explore the big issues that exist in the media. Last year in my women’s studies 200 class, we began to touch on the topic of sweatshops and maquiladoras. Although we did not watch a film, the text and articles that we read illustrated the horrific working conditions most women in these jobs suffer. Through my final project I hope to explore what a maquiladoras is and the effects it has on society, mostly the women who they employ.

No comments: